Monday, January 16, 2012

Inside the Caldecotts

Caldecotts at the Children's Museum

This weekend, the family and I headed over to the Minnesota Children's museum.  My favorite display at the museum is the traveling Storyland (surprise...surprise!) It will be at the museum until February 5th (I wrote a bit about this display in an earlier post). 

On Sunday, there were hundreds of children and families interacting and reading books. As a reader, and librarian hearing the book buzz was music to my ears. I wish I could have these displays in my library! Tuesday by Wiesner (winner 1992) and The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats (winner 1962) were two of the books on display. We reread these family favorites, and then crunched in the snow, made snow angels and snowmen, looked for frogs, and play acted the stories. It was a busy room, but these classic stories held our attention.
Notice how the books have been laminated and bound for many small hands to touch and enjoy.  They also had "real" books to hold and read.  When you walk on the footprints in A Snowy Day...crunching noises are made.  A lot of fun for all.

Birthday Books

On a side note--look what I got my niece for her 2nd birthday! I started her on a Caldecott Collection--my birthday gift of choice.  Of course I read them to her and all the other kids at the party.  Love. Love. Love. The Lion and the Mouse and A Sick Day for Amos McGee.

No comments:

Post a Comment