Looking at 6th grade Social Studies and ELA outcomes-- we collaborated with classroom teachers to create a small unit around oral histories.
Our goals were:
- Students would understand the difference between Primary Sources and Secondary Sources
- Students would understand what and Oral History is
- Students would understand how history is recorded-- whose story is told
- Student would understand that Facts are important and that narratives are too
- Students would learn what makes a good interview question
- Students would write interview questions with a purpose
- Students would practice interviewing each other
- Students would perform interviews to collect immigration stories
Students worked in small groups after a series of lessons to write questions for our interviewees. They came up with a set of questions that we shared with the interviewees in advance. We then used the Voice Memo app on iPads to record our interviews. They are amazing! I am so proud of the work they did.
**A thank you to Codrina E.-P. for her interview which she wanted shared only with 6th grade classes.