This week, I hosted a new book week in our library. (Thanks LibLaura5 for the great idea!) I have been having a great time showcasing the books that I have purchased for the school library, and the students have been so excited to see the new books. Seeing and hearing their excitement about new books has made my job extremely fun this week.
Here are links to some of trailers for sampling some of the new books:
Preparation for New Book Week:
1. Purchase about 500 New Books for the libary.
2. Try to read as many of above books as possible so that I could get kids excited about them.
3. Create playlists on YouTube (listed above) to have playing as kids looked at books (this did not work for me, as the spinning wheel just spun...but the links will still prove useful).
4. Create list of "New Books 2011" in Destiny on the catalog for students to view.
5. Set books out on tables for students to view--at this point in the process, I realized how many books 500 books was--I then split up my the books by age (k-2) (3-4) (5-6). I found that if I created some tables that stayed for all ages and then swapped out different sections it was much easier in a 5 minute transition time.
6. Students can come and check out the new books on Thursday before the Winter Break...I wonder how busy we will be?!
I think I have finally gotten this down...it only took a few days for me to work out the kinks.