Friday, November 11, 2011

School Librarians--OH MY!

A couple of weeks ago, I attended my first AASL (American Association of School Librarians) Conference.  It was held in my home state of Minnesota so my district let all of our librarians go!  Yeah!  I learned so much, and I had a great time.

Here are a few highlights and thoughts:

  • Opening session with Nicholas Carr (author of "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains")  
The Exporatorium
As a mom, and as a teacher this talk gave me a lot to think about.  Carr talked to us about his research on how the brain is changing with the ever present  use of technology.  I couldn't agree more with the idea of teaching children to slow down and explore.  To teach children (especially young children) to sustain an activity is important--and currently our brains are being wired to switch tasks quickly.  As I thought of my own kids--I am working on finding the balance of making sure that they have the same experiences and advantages with technology that others will have.  I want them to come to school prepared to learn--but I also want to teach them to sustain and READ a good book.  Ahhhh another pressure added to motherhood (Thanks Nicholas Carr for the thought provoking talk)

    Me and my pal Shawna from Grad School
    My Swag
  • Meeting librarians from all over the world--and seeing some old friends! 
  • The learning exploratorium--seeing all sorts of new and exciting ideas!
  • One of my favorite places was the Expo Hall--the vendors had a ton of great stuff to show--and give away! 
  • I attended a great session on English Language Learners in the School Library--and have committed myself to purchasing more books in Native Languages.
and....my very favorite thing....

Meeting authors and illustrators.  My personal Rockstars. 


Me and Tom Angelberger
Tom Angleberger presented with Nora Raleigh Baskin in my favorite part of the entire conference.  They were an inspiration to hear.  I loved their books and they reminded me of why I do what I do.  Books can make a real difference in the life of a child.  Thanks Tom and Nora, for the great session--for making me laugh and cry. 

We learned how to make Oragami Yoda

Nara Raleigh Baskin and Me
I had a a small moment, when I realized I was sitting at a table with Nora Raleigh Baskin.  I loved her book Anything But Typical.  In fact, I would put it in one of my top ten books.  She was absolutely delightful--after hearing her speak, I like the book even more.
Me and Stephen Gammell
 Ahhhhhhh!  How exciting!  It has been a dream of mine to meet Stephen Gammell--He is one of my all time favorite illustrators.
Me and Nancy Carlson
 






and....I adore Harriet and George.  What a pleasure to meet Nancy Carlson.  I learned to read with some of her books!

No comments:

Post a Comment