Saturday, June 30, 2012

When the Relatives Came

Caldecott Honor 1986

Written by Cynthia Rylant
Illustrated by Stephen Gammel (my favorite illustrator)

We're visiting the relatives in North Dakota, so my Caldecott choice for today seemed obvious. My husband is one of eight children... so it seems like there are a billion children running around.

Tonight after a long day of cousin fun, my kiddos snuggled up for a Caldecott Challenge. Frankie gave this one eight out of five stars. Lots of connections!

Here's our highs and lows:

High: The amazing illustrations true lily are reminiscent of a family gathering. My cousin even cuts hair out on the deck like the family in this book.

Low: Whenever I read this book, I wish for the setting to not be named as Virginia. Instead of feeling like this is my own family-being reminded that the story takes place in Virginia removes me from the story just as I am feeling a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment